Easy Peaches ‘n’ Cream Snack
– Vegan – Gluten free – Grain free –
With only 5 simple ingredients and 3 minutes of spare time, you can have an easy peaches ‘n’ cream snack. This makes a perfect breakfast when you’re on the go or a great snack to break up the day.
For this easy treat, you will need:
- Peach: loaded with antioxidants that protect against free radical damage. Since peaches are 89% water, they are great for digestive system and can help promote regular bowel movements. It’s important to eat fresh peaches with the peel on, since that is where many of the nutrients come from.
- Coconut yogurt: great for gut health due to the probiotics in yogurt that feed the good gut bacteria and keep the digestive system running smoothly. For this recipe, you can substitute the coconut yogurt for any vegan vanilla yogurt. However, I recommend coconut yogurt since it is typically the easiest to digest compared to other plant-based yogurts.
- Natural Peanut butter: a great way to sweeten your recipe and get some added protein, healthy fats and fiber. However, peanut butter is also high in calories, so it is best to adhere to the recommended serving size if trying to lose weight. Be sure to choose a peanut butter brand that is least processed to prevent added ingredients liked sugar and trans fat. Look for peanut butter that contains only peanuts and maybe salt.
- Agave nectar: a low-glycemic natural sweetener. While honey, maple syrup and table sugar have a glycemic index of 50 or higher, agave is closer to 20. Although high glycemic foods aren’t necessarily bad for you (pineapple has a GI of 70), they will cause a larger insulin spike, leading to temporarily higher blood glucose levels. People with high blood sugar may want to limit high glycemic foods. Agave should still be used sparingly, since it is high in natural sugar (fructose).
- Chia seeds: one of the best sources of omega-3 when on a plant-based diet. One tablespoon of chia seeds has 1.8 grams (162% DV) of omega-3, as well as 79% of your daily recommended vitamin K.