– vegan – gluten free – grain free – Refined sugar free – Oil free
This gravy is so simple and pairs well with any vegan meal – meatballs and meatloaf or on top of mashed potatoes or pasta. With just one pot and 8 simple ingredients, you’ll have this gravy ready within 15 minutes.
You will also need:
For the gravy, you will need:
- Coconut milk, full fat: a good source of healthy fats and a great alternative to cow’s milk, which contains unnecessary added sugar.
- Vegetable broth (or stock): a great way to get phytochemicals, antioxidants, minerals and anti-inflammatory agents. Substitutions: water.
- Coconut aminos: a healthy alternative to soy sauce, which has artificial colors and cancer-causing ingredients like 4-methylimidazole and 3-MCPD. Coconut aminos are non-gmo, gluten-free, vegan and contain 17 out of 21 amino acids. It also has about 300% less sodium than soy sauce. Look for coconut aminos that contain only 2 ingredients: the sap from a coconut tree and sea salt. Substitutions: tamari, low-sodium soy sauce or hoisin sauce.
- Potato starch: devoid of many vitamins and minerals, potato starch is a good alternative to corn starch and is primarily used as a thickener in recipes. Potato starch functions like soluble fiber, meaning it slows digestion and feeds the gut bacteria in the colon, promoting a healthier gut biome. Substitutions: cornstarch.
- Garlic powder: like other vegetables in the allium family, garlic contains sulfur compounds (sulfites) that assist with protein synthesis and the building of cell structures.
- Onion powder: contains only trace amounts of vitamins and minerals.
- Smoked paprika: very rich in vitamin A. One teaspoon of paprika has 48% of your daily recommended vitamin A intake, as well as 4% of your vitamin B6, 4% of your vitamin E and 3% of your iron intake. Substitutions: regular paprika will also work.